[Geany] setting up Geany

Ross McKay rosko at xxxxx
Mon Jan 30 06:53:28 UTC 2012

G'day Yigal,

>I started using Geany for PHP development, working on Linux Ubuntu.
>Need help with setting to achieve the following:
>1- Setting up my working directory
>2- Setting up the target director (/var/www), the place where the
>target files will be copied to, once I finished a specific milestone,
>so the code will be available for usage
>3- How to  do the above copy

It sounds like you will be editing locally for a remote server, is that
correct? If not, please ignore the following :)

Can I suggest that instead, you create a local copy of the website and
set that as your project base folder? Then you can add version control
to that folder, edit/checkin/edit/revert etc. and finally load to the
remote.

For load to remote, the nicest way is if you can use your version
control repo as the master and then simply pull an update into your
remote server. Alternatively, you can FTP or scp your files from your
development copy to your server.

Worst case (and I really mean *worst*) is mounting the remote server
using something like gvfs, and setting that as your Geany base folder. I
hear that some people like doing it that way; every time I hear that I
look nervously at my ever-depleting supply of bourbon...
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"My old man told me one time, you never get wise, you only get older"