[Geany] How to define autocomplete trigger and question about calltip appearance

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Feb 26 04:21:16 UTC 2012

On 26 February 2012 14:47, klo uo <klonuo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to transfer custom .api file created for SciTE to Geany .tags file
>
> I changed the file to confirm to Tagmanager format as described in
> documentation
>
> Here is example part:
> dialog.hr||( dlg )|Draws a horizontal separator across the dialog
> dialog.label||( dlg, text )|Adds some informative text to the dialog
> dialog.new||( title, buttons )|Creates a new dialog object
>
> 1. Now autocomplete drop-down menu appears after typing 4-th character and I
> don't see setting to make . (dot) be autocomplete trigger. In SciTE property
> this can be defined with:
>
>     autocomplete.$(filetype).start.characters=.
>
> Is it possible to make this in Geany?

No, autocomplete is trigerred by typing a number of characters
(default 4) of a known symbol or manually with ctrl-space.

> 2. Calltip doesn't appear after I open bracket as I expected
>
> Why could that be?

Because for example geany is looking for a function symbol called hr,
but there is no such symbol, the pipe format does not support nested
structures, all symbols must be simple identifiers.