[Geany] How to get syntax highlighting of the Compiler window in the Edit window

John Yeung gallium.arsenide at xxxxx
Wed Aug 29 10:51:24 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 5:17 AM, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
> The highlighting in the edit window is provided by the Scintilla
> editing components lexers.  There is not a lexer for decoding and
> highlighting compiler errors.

Are you sure?  I use SciTE, and its output pane does have highlighting
done by Scintilla.  I have done practically no Geany configuration, so
I don't know how you would "port" these settings (and in fact there
may be some things that are SciTE-specific, and thus not portable to
Geany), but what SciTE has in its others.properties file is

*** begin excerpts ***

lexer.*.err=errorlist

# Error list styles

style.errorlist.32=fore:#B06000,$(font.small)
style.errorlist.0=fore:#000000
# python Error
style.errorlist.1=fore:#FF0000
# gcc Error
style.errorlist.2=fore:#800080
# Microsoft Error
style.errorlist.3=fore:#808000
# command or return status
style.errorlist.4=fore:#0000FF
# Borland error and warning messages
style.errorlist.5=fore:#B06000
# perl error and warning messages
style.errorlist.6=fore:#FF0000
# .NET tracebacks
style.errorlist.7=fore:#FF0000
# Lua error and warning messages
style.errorlist.8=fore:#FF0000
# ctags
style.errorlist.9=fore:#FF00FF
# diff changed !
style.errorlist.10=fore:#007F00
# diff addition +
style.errorlist.11=fore:#00007F
# diff deletion -
style.errorlist.12=fore:#007F7F
# diff message ---
style.errorlist.13=fore:#7F0000
# PHP error
style.errorlist.14=fore:#FF0000
# Essential Lahey Fortran 90 error
style.errorlist.15=fore:#FF0000
# Intel Fortran Compiler error
style.errorlist.16=fore:#FF0000
# Intel Fortran Compiler v8.0 error/warning
style.errorlist.17=fore:#FF0000
# Absoft Pro Fortran 90/95 v8.2 error or warning
style.errorlist.18=fore:#FF0000
# HTML Tidy
style.errorlist.19=fore:#FF0000
# Java runtime stack trace
style.errorlist.20=fore:#FF0000
# Text matched with find in files and message part of GCC errors
style.errorlist.21=fore:#000000
# Ensures that spacing is not affected by line number styles
style.errorlist.33=$(font.small)

lexer.errorlist.value.separate=1

*** end excerpts ***

So I'd bet there is some way you can leverage Scintilla to do this in Geany.

Cheers,
John