[Geany] How to get syntax highlighting of the Compiler window in the Edit window

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Aug 29 09:17:53 UTC 2012

On 29 August 2012 18:57, Robert Fekete <fekete77.robert at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when compiling/building something from Geany, the output is printed in
> a nice highlighted format into the Compiler window in the bottom of
> the screen. However, if the output is long, it is useful to copy the
> output to a new window of the editor, but then I loose the
> highlighting. Is the highlighting mode of the compiler documented
> somewhere so it can be easily transformed into a custom filetype?

Hi,

Unfortunately the answer to that is pretty much no.

The highlighting in the edit window is provided by the Scintilla
editing components lexers.  There is not a lexer for decoding and
highlighting compiler errors.  And because the edit window determines
its highlighting this way, it will ignore any style information that
might be passed from the Compiler window (though I doubt that any
styling is copied anyway)

The compiler highlighting is simply regex based to decide the style of
each line and extract the source file line number.  The window is a
GTK tree, it is not a Scintilla window.

But since the highlighting is just line and regex based you might be
able to create a scintilla lexer reasonably easily if you copy some of
the existing regex based ones, but it is still C++ coding.