[Geany] Geany Newsletter Vol. 2

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Fri May 27 14:11:31 UTC 2011

Hi,

Please don't me wrong.

Am 27.05.2011 14:22, schrieb Lex Trotman:

> I think you might be overreacting a bit to people who are just trying
> to help you with something that appears to be causing problems.
>
> It is the nature of open source development that you get lots of
> different suggestions from people, each of whom is convinced that
> their approach will solve your problem. I see that as a good thing
> rather than something to be annoyed at, that people are willing to be
> involved and to put in effort to show how their suggestion helps.  At
> least they are interested in the Newsletter and its production.
>
> Of course the content is the most important, but that wasn't the
> problem you asked about, nor was the markup, it was the toolset that
> was causing problems and thats why you got suggestions of alternate
> toolsets.  That they happened to be based on slightly differing markup
> was noted in several previous posts to be unimportant.
>
> Nobody is trying to force you to use anything, they are offering
> things they think will help, but as editor in chief the decision is
> still yours.  If you are happy with Latex and are happy to convert
> contributions in other formats then you shouldn't listen to us, and
> you should go right on using Latex.  IIRC originally ReST was
> suggested as a way of capturing most of the input without giving you
> the effort of conversion, but if it gives you too much heartache
> elsewhere don't use it.
>
> Everyone should add their two cents worth to the Wiki page, but Frank,
> if you are willing to mastermind the production of the newsletter then
> you should get to decide on what works best for you, based on the
> capabilities and effort you and your team need to convert
> contributions and to produce the output.

I had the feeling that nearly every suggestion wasn't searching for a
compromise we as contributors to the newsletter can work with but
pointing the mentioned solution as the only one - which is a valid way,
but well.... you know.
We talked about sphinx, docbook, asciidoc, rest, latex, pandoc (and
mabye I missed one in my list) which is pretty much (I apologize) the
same crap. None of them is perfect. However, lets put a line onto that.

This is my suggestion:
Everybody, please put information together as mentioned on
http://wiki.geany.org/newsletter/markuplanguages
I extended the list of things I'd like to see inside the 'system' with
some points. Upcoming weekend (June, 4th) I will start a doodle for a
week (so closing at latest June, 11th) with all suggestions on the page
hitting the minimal criteria and we decide together* which system we are
using.

After this decision has been made we will adjust the build system and
maybe convert all issues to the new system. None further discussion
about which markup language/system we are using until there are real
good reasons.

Sorry for being maybe a bit rude.

Cheers,
Frank

* In some special case I will take over the rule as galactic imperator
and will tell you, what your decision will be ....