[Geany] Geany Newsletter Vol. 2

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri May 27 12:22:39 UTC 2011

> Please fill in the wikipage by using the feature list I provided.
>
> There will be a poll in maybe 1 week and we will do the decission. No
> big further discussion here please.

Well thats one way of doing it, maybe...

> To be honest I'm really sick of this discussion, as changing to ReST
> wasn't to complicated for me (and shouldn't be for anybody else) but as
> I still prefer LaTeX for doing such work it was a compromise I wanted to
> do.
> So everybody, please be so kind and think about whether you are able to
> do a compromise too on the first hand and think about whether you ever
> will contribute to the newsletter or just discussing here to discuss
> anything. And if you want to write some content for the newsletter and
> you are sick of language being used for markup, I'm happy to receive a
> odt, doc, pdf or whatever and convert it to the correct format.

Hi Frank,

I think you might be overreacting a bit to people who are just trying
to help you with something that appears to be causing problems.

It is the nature of open source development that you get lots of
different suggestions from people, each of whom is convinced that
their approach will solve your problem. I see that as a good thing
rather than something to be annoyed at, that people are willing to be
involved and to put in effort to show how their suggestion helps.  At
least they are interested in the Newsletter and its production.

Of course the content is the most important, but that wasn't the
problem you asked about, nor was the markup, it was the toolset that
was causing problems and thats why you got suggestions of alternate
toolsets.  That they happened to be based on slightly differing markup
was noted in several previous posts to be unimportant.

Nobody is trying to force you to use anything, they are offering
things they think will help, but as editor in chief the decision is
still yours.  If you are happy with Latex and are happy to convert
contributions in other formats then you shouldn't listen to us, and
you should go right on using Latex.  IIRC originally ReST was
suggested as a way of capturing most of the input without giving you
the effort of conversion, but if it gives you too much heartache
elsewhere don't use it.

Everyone should add their two cents worth to the Wiki page, but Frank,
if you are willing to mastermind the production of the newsletter then
you should get to decide on what works best for you, based on the
capabilities and effort you and your team need to convert
contributions and to produce the output.