[Geany] Snippets - support for variable values in multiple places?

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed May 11 23:06:21 UTC 2011

On 11 May 2011 22:59, Jean-Daniel Bonjour <Jean-Daniel.Bonjour at epfl.ch> wrote:
> On Wed May 11 10:30:31 UTC 2011 Eugene Arshinov wrote:
>
>> I have one more suggestion: new %selection% parameter
>> for current selection.  It will make sense when used
>> together with snippet keybindings.  For example, some users may find
>> it useful to create HTML snippets like s=<strong>%selection%</strong>
>> and assign keybindings to them.  Gedit provides this functionality via
>> $GEDIT_SELECTED_TEXT [1] (though I must note that Gedit snippets
>> are generally more powerful than Geany's as for today).  Currently I
>> don't feel the need for such functionality myself (for me, HTML
>> editing is already comfortable enough with tag autocompletion enabled),
>> but recently I received a private mail from another user who talked
>> precisely about that.
>

> Yes, I spoke privately with Eugene about such a useful feature to be
> implemented in Geany. (This would allow me to give up with Gedit).
>

> Another way to solve my problem would be to define a user-Keybinding
> executing a sequence of Geany or user Keybindings, in this case the sequence
> of the  following keybindings :
>  <ctrl-X>     (to cut the selection)
>  <ctrl-alt-S> (to insert HTML tags)
>  <ctrl-V>     (to past the clipboard between 2 tags)
>
> with the snippet :
>    strong=<strong>%cursor%</strong>
> and the Keybinding :
>    [Keybindings]
>    strong=<Ctrl><Alt>s

What that needs is being able to define macros and bind them to keys.
This would be a great feature and can be implemented in a plugin using
GTK signal features.  As you can tell I had a quick look before I ran
out of all coding time.