[Geany] Failed to create tags file

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Tue May 10 21:46:21 UTC 2011

On 05/10/11 10:15, Eugenio Rustico wrote:

> ---
> [some GTK stuff]
> Geany-INFO: Added filetype CUDA (52).
> Geany-INFO: Generating C tags file.
> Failed to create tags file, perhaps because no tags were found.
> ---

I don't know what CUDA is, but if you made a custom filetype, I don't
know if Geany will still know how to parse this.  Generally, something
along the lines of this should work for C++ headers:

`geany -P -g ~/.config/geany/tags/gpusph-1.0.cpp.tags
~/simple_sph3d/src/*.h'

> Problem 2: I compiled sources and put some printf to check what goes
> wrong in tm_workspace_create_global_tags (from a quick look on the
> code, I guessed this returns false, right?). I couldn't find out the
> problem, but I get an additional error (I don't have it with the
> precompiled version):
>
> ---
> Geany-INFO: Failed to open /usr/local/share/geany/filetypes.common (No
> such file or directory)
> ---

If you just used `./configure' (no options), Geany will be configured to
use /usr/local as the prefix.  If you then just run the Geany binary
from the source directory (without running `make install'), I think it
will give errors like this since you told it (or it defaulted) that the
prefix is /usr/local and it will try to find it's files there.

> Creating a symlink  /usr/local/share/geany/ ->  /usr/share/geany/
> solves it, so it's just a wrong path somewhere.
> I have the same problems (failed to create tags) also adding -P and
> passing only .h files (not .cuh).
>
> What can I do?

I've attached the 'gpusph-1.0.cpp.tags' file I generated from the source
code here[1] using the above command.  Hopefully that helps.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush

[1] http://www.ce.jhu.edu/dalrymple/GPU/GPUSPH/Download_Install.html