[Geany] Wiki?

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri Jun 3 09:53:49 UTC 2011

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 18:56:19 +1000, Lex wrote:

>> From a design view it would make sense to limit it for every page,
>> but done on a global css level. Using a little number of different
>> templates might would also make sense. BUT: I'd like to avoid
>> individual styles on each page as user's expectations will be some
>> common look and feel on whole wiki.
>>

>Hi Frank,
>
>To do it for all pages I think all Enrico has to do is create a
>conf/userstyle.css (see http://www.dokuwiki.org/devel:css#user_styles)
>containing body { max-width:40em}

Done so.
But it looks weird, 40em is too few I'd say:

https://tiwtr.uvena.de/wiki/playground

I installed the wrap plugin anyway (in the Geany wiki). If you want,
play around with it, even at the risk Frank will hate us :).
Seriously, we could at least try what's possible and then decide
whether we want this or not.
In general, I share Frank's opinion of a common layout and style across
the wiki however in this particular case I also see the benefit of a
custom max-width for the page.

>I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree on how
>permissive a wiki should be.  My feeling is that the point of a wiki
>is to be open to a variety of contents so it should be more permissive
>rather than less, especially since as a community we haven't had much
>experience with what is better.
>
>Contributors are registered, changes can be reverted and the Geany
>community is mostly trustworthy so why not see what happens rather
>than lock everything down at the first thing we thought of.  Also if
>contributors can't see what different things look like then how are
>they to experiment with possible improvements to the style?

I agree.
New users now automaticallly get into the user group and so can edit,
create and delete pages and upload files.
For each change, I get a notification mail currently. Alternatively,
everyone can subscribe to the wiki via RSS and so get also notified
about changes.