[Geany] Question about multi-head display issues

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Jul 8 11:45:56 UTC 2011

On 8 July 2011 21:23, Stephan Beal <sgbeal at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Stephan Beal <sgbeal at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> In both of my cases i run geany always on the same monitor, but it's not
>> the primary monitor (where the desktop lives). In my 2 setups, the desktop
>> lives on the built-in (laptop) monitors and the external monitors (which are
>> much bigger :) are the secondary monitors (but where i do all my work).
>> So the problem might be that i'm always running geany on the
>> secondary/external monitors.
>
> A slight elaboration there, from the config i'm using right this minute:
> built-in monitor (#1) sits to my left. #2 (external) sits in front of me.
> The desktop lives on #1. From #2 i'm ssh'd into a dev server and run geany
> from there, exporting the display to my machine (via (ssh -X)). When i start
> Geany, it starts up on the same monitor as the shell i started it from (#2).
> When i tap Ctrl-F/H/whatever, the search dialog invariably pops up on the
> built-in monitor.
> On my home setup, monitor #2 sits on the left of #1, and the behaviour is
> the same - i run Geany on #2 but the dialogs pop up on #1. (This time
> without the extra level of ssh indirection.)
> So it would seem (though i haven't fully verified this) that gtk is always
> showing them on the "main" monitor (==the one where the desktop is
> configured to show up). But that's really just a guess (and breaks down when
> we consider what might happen when no WM, or no desktop, is running).

What virtual display are you running on the server via SSH? My guess
would be :0, so Geany stores that the dialog is on :0 and then when
you run it locally it pops up on :0 which is the main screen.

Either that or its a display (like :2) that doesn't exist on your
local machine so the WM just shrugs and puts Geany on the screen its
started from and the dialog on :0

PS Yes, fixing this sort of thing is not very portable as I know from
past heartache.