[Geany] Question about multi-head display issues

Stephan Beal sgbeal at xxxxx
Fri Jul 8 11:23:51 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Stephan Beal <sgbeal at googlemail.com> wrote:

> In both of my cases i run geany always on the same monitor, but it's not
> the primary monitor (where the desktop lives). In my 2 setups, the desktop
> lives on the built-in (laptop) monitors and the external monitors (which are
> much bigger :) are the secondary monitors (but where i do all my work).
>
> So the problem might be that i'm always running geany on the
> secondary/external monitors.

A slight elaboration there, from the config i'm using right this minute:

built-in monitor (#1) sits to my left. #2 (external) sits in front of me.
The desktop lives on #1. From #2 i'm ssh'd into a dev server and run geany
from there, exporting the display to my machine (via (ssh -X)). When i start
Geany, it starts up on the same monitor as the shell i started it from (#2).
When i tap Ctrl-F/H/whatever, the search dialog invariably pops up on the
built-in monitor.

On my home setup, monitor #2 sits on the left of #1, and the behaviour is
the same - i run Geany on #2 but the dialogs pop up on #1. (This time
without the extra level of ssh indirection.)

So it would seem (though i haven't fully verified this) that gtk is always
showing them on the "main" monitor (==the one where the desktop is
configured to show up). But that's really just a guess (and breaks down when
we consider what might happen when no WM, or no desktop, is running).

--
----- stephan beal
http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/