[Geany] Per-workspace instance of Geany

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Sun Jan 23 14:06:12 UTC 2011

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 22:49:47 +0100
Julien Nicoulaud <julien.nicoulaud at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using GNOME with several workspaces, and there's a behaviour I find
> quite annoying: if you have an instance of Geany running in a workspace and
> you open a file in another workspace, it just opens the file in the already
> running instance and switches you back to the workspace. [...]

That was discussed several times, and implemented once, but various
issues came out, and the patch was reverted.

> Anyway, I wrote a little wrapper script that detects if there's no Geany
> window in the current workspace, in which case it forces creating one:
> https://github.com/nicoulaj/dotfiles/blob/master/bin/geany [...]

You can let Geany do this check by using the --socket parameter, which
is also required if you want separate instances. The attached
wrapper script is equivalent to the former in-Geany implementation.

--
E-gards: Jimmy