[Geany] 'make' feedback

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Feb 5 10:24:37 UTC 2011

On 5 February 2011 16:11, Chris Sutcliffe <ir0nh34d at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Using geany under Windows, is it possible to configure geany to provide
> feedback as a build is in progress?  For example, I have big app that take a
> while to build, when I execute the 'Make' command from the menu, geany
> becomes unresponsive until the build completes, at which point 'Compiler'
> tab updates.  Is it possible to have the 'Compiler' tab update as make
> provides feedback to stdout/stderr, just to keep me aware of what is going
> on and to keep geany from going unresponsive?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Chris

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately on Windows not at this time, builds are synchronous, ie
Geany does not run again until the build is finished.

This is because there appear to be problems with the portable
interfaces to spawning processes and asynchronously collecting their
output on Windows.  Someone with the necessary Windows development
skills needs to write some Windows specific code to work
asynchronously and not use the portable interfaces.