[Geany] Geany Tags Packages (was: Geany Themes packages)

Dominic Hopf dmaphy at xxxxx
Sat Dec 24 20:19:01 UTC 2011

Hi together,

as a result of this discussion, here we go:

    http://dmaphy.fedorapeople.org/geany-tags/

I did not request an official review for the package, though. Since it
there are some issues I'd like to clarify in advance:

* I have to set a License: tag for the package, it is not mentioned
  under which license the "tags project" is distributed

* the source tarball is pulled from here at present:

    http://wiki.geany.org/get_tags

That page is sending the correct file name via HTTP headers, a users
browser suggests to save the downloaded file as geany-tags.tar.bz2 then.
A command line tool like wget or Fedoras spectool don't.

* There doesn't seem to be any release concept yet for the tags, thus
  a version is completely missing at present. It's a lot of effort for
  a package maintainer to track changes and keep his package up-to-date
  with latest tags files.

My suggestion: Create a new Git repository under the hood of Geany at
GitHub, add or update new tags files as pull requests, tag releases
(e.g. 0.21 and when additional tags files come through, increase to
0.21.1 and so on) and have branches for different Geany versions.

Objections on this?

Regards,
Dominic

--
Dominic Hopf
http://dominichopf.de/

Key Fingerprint: A7DF C4FC 07AE 4DDC 5CA0  BD93 AAB0 6019 CA7D 868D