[Geany] Geany Tags Packages

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sat Dec 24 22:15:07 UTC 2011

On 12/24/2011 12:19 PM, Dominic Hopf wrote:
> Hi together,
>
> as a result of this discussion, here we go:
>
>      http://dmaphy.fedorapeople.org/geany-tags/
>
> I did not request an official review for the package, though. Since it
> there are some issues I'd like to clarify in advance:
>
> * I have to set a License: tag for the package, it is not mentioned
>    under which license the "tags project" is distributed
>
> * the source tarball is pulled from here at present:
>
>      http://wiki.geany.org/get_tags
>
> That page is sending the correct file name via HTTP headers, a users
> browser suggests to save the downloaded file as geany-tags.tar.bz2 then.
> A command line tool like wget or Fedoras spectool don't.

It's running a little CGI Python script I made that creates the tarball
on-the-fly.  It uses the following header:

You can see more looking at the script on the server and it also has a
help output:
http://wiki.geany.org/get_tags?help=true

> * There doesn't seem to be any release concept yet for the tags, thus
>    a version is completely missing at present. It's a lot of effort for
>    a package maintainer to track changes and keep his package up-to-date
>    with latest tags files.
>
> My suggestion: Create a new Git repository under the hood of Geany at
> GitHub, add or update new tags files as pull requests, tag releases
> (e.g. 0.21 and when additional tags files come through, increase to
> 0.21.1 and so on) and have branches for different Geany versions.
>
> Objections on this?

No objections here. All it would take is to re-link the stuff on the
wiki page to download from the github address using a little script/sed.
  Not sure if the above Python tarball script would be useful still, but
that's ok.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush