[Geany] Tags and Syntax Highlighting

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Tue Aug 9 17:45:23 UTC 2011

Le 09/08/2011 18:33, Alexander Eberspächer a écrit :
> Hello list,

Hi,

> I would like to learn about tags and their relationship to syntax
> highlighting. If I understand the manual correctly, there is no direct
> connection of both things - tags are only used for the symbol browser,
> aren't they?

They are. Tags (and tagmanager) are only used for extracting tags from
the document, presenting them in the sidebar and possibly providing
auto-completion. Syntax highlighting is provided by separate lexers, in
the Scintilla side (the editing component that Geany uses).

> The background of my question is the following: I noticed that Geany
> doesn't highlight some LaTeX-stuff any more. Previously, I am sure that
> LaTeX commands such as \usepackage have been highlighted. Now, those
> commands look like ordinary text.
>
> I downloaded the tag files from codebrainz's GitHub repository and
> installed them to ~/.config/geany/tags. However, Geany still doesn't
> highlight the commands mentioned before.
>
> What is happening here?
>
> I have GeanyLaTeX installed, also I use codebrainz's geany-themes.
> Changing the color scheme via View -> Editor -> Color Schemes -> ...
> doesn't change anything.
>
> So, to conclude my questions:
>
> 1. Can anyone help me with the LaTeX syntax highlighting?

Yeah, it's a bug in geany-themes (e.g. not a Geany bug). I just wrote a
patch for it (thanks for reporting it :)), should be committed soon. I
attach it here if you want to apply it locally in the meantime.

> 2. What are tags used for?

As explained above: for the list in the sidebar and for auto-completion.

Regards,
Colomban