[Geany] feature request: double-clicking compile errors...

Stephan Beal sgbeal at xxxxx
Thu Apr 28 13:37:50 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 12:23 AM, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 28 April 2011 01:58, Stephan Beal <sgbeal at googlemail.com> wrote:For the
> languages I use the compiler error does not indicate where on
> the line and often thats not really where the error is, its just where
> the compiler detected it, so you have to place the caret anyway.

the carret, sure, but as it is now i have to (A) click the error, (B)
visually find the line, and (C) move my mouse some arbitrary distance (not a
fixed/reliable pattern) and click on the line (and i often click one too
high or low). It's quite distracting, actually.

I think the current behavior is ok, you already have your hand on the mouse

The _only_ reason i have my hand on the mouse is to double-click the error.
If it weren't for that i'd be on the keyboard.

> Of course the emacs behavior is because placing the cursor used to be
> done by keyboard, not by mouse.

Does Geany have a keyboard shortcut for this? If so i'll use that (as long
as the focus stays in, or is returned to, the editor).

> Since you have been (mis)trained by emacs to keep your hands on the
> keyboard ;-), why don't you bind next error/previous error to keycodes
> and then you don't need to put your hand on the mouse at all.

Didn't know about them :/. i'll look them up. i will always be an xemacs
users at heart, but geany has served me surprisingly well for several small
C projects and all of my recent PHP/HTML/JS coding. emacs, in its long life,
has never really learned to deal with indentation of multi-language files
like HTML/PHP and HTML/JS (and even pure JS it can't indent worth a damn).

Thanks for the feedback :).

--
----- stephan beal
http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/