[Geany] Regex replace weirdness

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Sep 29 15:32:44 UTC 2010

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 16:20:33 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Perhaps, as you say, it should offer a substitute command that works
> >> line by line as well, but "someone has to do it" (tm) and "patches are
> >> welcome" (tm) (that right Frank ;-).
> >
> > Thats a better answer than your previous one :-).
>
> Oh, there is rarely any objection to contributions, that goes without saying.
>
> I was noting that the current behavior is not a bug (since it behaves
> as specified) so it doesn't have to be fixed. nor is a change in
> behavior necessary (since there is a workaround to the rare "problem")
> so it doesn't have to be fixed.  With limited resources there are far
> more important things to think about.

Personally I think we shouldn't rematch a replaced start of line. I
think this is counter intuitive. Is there a reason why the current
behaviour is better?

Anyway, the reason it works as it does was because that was easier to
implement.

> I personally don't care if someone changes it (although I think that
> going back to line by line operation is a step back into the time when
> whole files would not fit in memory, ah hey lets bring back Teco ;-).

Not sure anyone's proposing preventing matching past a line.

Regards,
Nick