[Geany] HTML5 attributes

Ross McKay rosko at xxxxx
Mon Oct 25 23:16:18 UTC 2010

Jason Oster wrote:

>Don't forget data-* (the attribute for providing user-specified data to
>a DOM node.  It can be named anything, hence the *)  This has been a bit
>of a thorn in my side, since Geany thinks all of my data-* tags are
>invalid; they get highlighted red.

Yeah, but it's the * that Geany can't handle. Your * will likely be
different to my *, unless we happen to be following the same
microformats.

You can add your data-* attributes to your local customisation of
filetypes.xml in ~/.config/geany/filedefs if you want to make that red
go away.

What would be nice in Geany is some way to customise the filedefs in an
additive way, rather than having to respecify the whole keyword line
just to add a few new attributes. Or perhaps, this new HTML5/XHTML aware
plugin we spoke about in the previous HTML5 thread could handle data-*
and aria-* especially.

Either way, the stock distro can't really do anything with data-* yet.
This is different to aria-* which we could add easily, I guess, if
someone (else) wants to collect them all into a string:

http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/states_and_properties#state_prop_def
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Nobody ever rioted for austerity" - George Monbiot