[Geany] Serious bug

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Wed Nov 10 13:39:13 UTC 2010

Le 10/11/2010 13:56, Milan Babuskov a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I just ran into a rather serious Geany bug that can cause file loss.
>
> Incidentally I had the hard disk partition full (on Linux) and Geany
> was happily reporting that file saving is successful. I had about 20
> open files, worth about 2 hours of work. When I was done I saved all
> the files and closed Geany. Seconds later, I realized that all my
> files have size of zero bytes. Not only that I lost the recent
> changes, but complete files. This happen just prior to the commit to
> Git repository I planned. Obviously, I have nothing to commit. :(
Very sorry to hear :/

There is currently a discussion on the devel mailing list to improve
file saving, but you can already use an alternative file saving method
that is safer (e.g. will properly fail, and won't loose the original
data) -- but has other disadvantages, see below.
I don't know if there is a preference visible in the UI somewhere, but
you can set the "use_safe_file_saving" preference to "true" in
~/.config/geany/geany.conf.

The problem of that alternative method is that it will (or might?) loose
file attributes (e.g. permissions -- such as the executable bit --, etc).

Hope it helps in the meantime.

Regards,
Colomban