[Geany] Automatically Load Tags File on Windows

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Sun Nov 7 12:45:12 UTC 2010

On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 09:55:36 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Running Geany on Windows, I can't seem to find a right place to place
> > a tags file to make it load on startup.
> >
> > According to the documentation:
> >
> > * Using the Load Tags command in the Tools menu.
> >
> > This works ok.
> >
> > * By creating a directory ~/.config/geany/tags, and moving or
> > symlinking the tags files there before starting Geany.
> > * By creating a directory $prefix/share/geany/tags, and moving or
> > symlinking the tags files there before starting Geany. $prefix is the
> > installation prefix (see Installation prefix).
> >
> > But not this. I tried placing the file in
> > C:\Users\User\Geany 0.18.1.1\share\geany\tags
> > C:\Users\User\Geany 0.18.1.1\tags
>
> You can check that its the right prefix by running geany from the
> command line with geany --print-prefix
>
> That will tell you if  C:\Users\User\Geany 0.18.1.1\ is where to put things.

I'm not sure if that works on Windows, could try it though. I think the
docs for Windows paths need to be improved.

>From looking at the code, the system data dir is the installation
directory plus 'data', e.g.:
C:\Program Files\geany\data

For the user config dir you could try Tools->configuration
Files->filetype_extensions.conf. The path for that file should be the
same as the path to add a 'tags' directory.

Let us know how you get on and I'll update the documentation.

Nick