[Geany] Mac OSx Snow Leopard experience, 100% CPU load whenever build has been started !

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed May 19 20:34:43 UTC 2010

On Tue, 18 May 2010 21:40:03 +0200, Andrei wrote:

> On 05/18/2010 01:31 PM, Andrei Vishneuski wrote:
> >

> > On 18 mei 2010, at 13:22, Lex Trotman wrote:
> >

> >> On 18 May 2010 20:37, Andrei Vishneuski <vish at gravitysoft.org
> >> <mailto:vish at gravitysoft.org>> wrote:
> >>
> >>     I am big fun of Geany and have used it in Windows and Linux as
> >> my primary development editor.
> >>     The problem is usage of Geany under Mac OSx.
> >>     Basically under Mac osx you have three options:
> >>
> >>     1) Install port and install geany through the port. This is the
> >>     most simple way. Geany looks a little bit ugly but workable
> >> and fast. 2) Deploy native Mac OSx GTK (see gtk-osx). More
> >> complicated way to use Geany. Geany looks more integrated with Mac
> >> OSx, but it is SLOW !
> >>     3) Use virtual (Linux) machine. Not a graceful way but better
> >>     than nothing.
> >>
> >>     I have tried all three options. And unfortunately only third
> >>     option is applicable.
> >>
> >>     Options 1) and  2) has critical bug. If you try to build
> >>     something geany starts consuming 100% CPU time !
> >>     It seems there is something wrong with process output reading,
> >>     geany cannot correctly finalize it and stuck somewhere in
> >> reading loop.
> >>
> >>     Does anybody have the same experience and may be just by chance
> >>     has found a workaround ?
> >>

> >> Which versions of Geany and Glib and GTK?
> >>
> >  Geany 0.18.1
> > 1) Mac OSx port GTK2 2.18.2
> > 2) native gtk-osx GTK2 don't know exact version they are supporting
> > (have to see my home PC to give you more information)
>
> I little bit more about gtk-osx version: geany 0.18.1 (built on May
> 18 2010 with GTK 2.18.2, GLib 2.22.2)
> Geany and gtk-osx has been compiled as i386 applications since 64bits
> version of gtk-osx is no stable yet.
>
> PS: frankly speaking I think it is not GTK related bug, since I have

It doesn't need to be a GTK/GLib bug but maybe we just use it wrong or
it behaves differently on MacOSX or MacOSX behaves differently than
Linux/Unix. I can't say what's wrong and I don't have access to a
MacOSX system :(.