[Geany] two ideas: filebrowser and scribble

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Fri May 14 19:52:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, 14 May 2010 21:42:49 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 May 2010 19:47, startx <startx at plentyfact.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 14 May 2010 18:16:54 +1000

> > > I don't agree. This doesn't seem to me to be IDE specific
> > > functionality and I think adding it would be contrary to the light
> > > weight nature of Geany.
> >
> > well, i am not sure here. i would consider renaming or deleting
> > files part of my project workflow.
> >
> > i would not say that a filebrowser would make geany very "heavy",
> > gedit has such a filebrowser in the sidepane (looks almost like the
> > geany one). i am not a gtk expert but i assume its some kind of gtk
> > standard widget, no?
> >

> Um, actually no, the file browser uses the GTK tree widget for
> display but all the file handling is coded in the plugin & there is
> 1200 lines of it.
>
> I guess it is less critical since its a plugin so users can decide for
> themselves if they want to use it.
>
> I just don't understand the point of trying to jam all functionality
> into one tool in a windowed environment when what you want is already
> available in another with drag and drop and full functionality.  Its
> not as if you can only run Geany and nothing else as it was when
> Emacs became a de facto operating system :-)
>
> I have just gotten used to the Unix philosophy of each tool doing one
> thing well & I hate massive integrated tools.

Yepp, even from time to time I can understand reasons why you like to
have more and more features inside a IDE, this is what a tool making
slow. This is not happening immediately, but step by step. However, why
not forking and extending the filebrowser plugin or as already
suggested have a look onto the treeview plugin and maybe extending
this.

Personally I like the file browser plugin as it is to be honest. mv, rm,
cp etc I'm doing inside the little terminal on very bottom of Geany ;)

Cheers,
Frank
--
http://frank.uvena.de/en/