[Geany] two ideas: filebrowser and scribble

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri May 14 13:11:47 UTC 2010

On Fri, 14 May 2010 21:42:49 +1000, Lex wrote:

> On 14 May 2010 19:47, startx <startx at plentyfact.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 14 May 2010 18:16:54 +1000

> > > I don't agree. This doesn't seem to me to be IDE specific
> > > functionality and I think adding it would be contrary to the light
> > > weight nature of Geany.
> >
> > well, i am not sure here. i would consider renaming or deleting
> > files part of my project workflow.
> >
> > i would not say that a filebrowser would make geany very "heavy",
> > gedit has such a filebrowser in the sidepane (looks almost like the
> > geany one). i am not a gtk expert but i assume its some kind of gtk
> > standard widget, no?
> >

> Um, actually no, the file browser uses the GTK tree widget for
> display but all the file handling is coded in the plugin & there is
> 1200 lines of it.
>
> I guess it is less critical since its a plugin so users can decide for
> themselves if they want to use it.
>
> I just don't understand the point of trying to jam all functionality
> into one tool in a windowed environment when what you want is already
> available in another with drag and drop and full functionality.  Its
> not as if you can only run Geany and nothing else as it was when
> Emacs became a de facto operating system :-)
>
> I have just gotten used to the Unix philosophy of each tool doing one
> thing well & I hate massive integrated tools.

I completely agree with Lex here:
the filebrowser plugin, as Dominic said, is a *browser*. There are file
managers out there which do the job way better. As the filebrowser is a
plugin shipped with Geany itself, I'd like to rather not include such
features.

And also, as Dominic said, the new TreeBrowser plugin has some of those
basic file manager functionalities.