[Geany] feature request: jumping to python module

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Mar 25 22:54:57 UTC 2010

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 23:48:03 +0100, Filip wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I was thinking today about how geany is awsome and helps me a lot with
>my python coding and found a feature, that would make my live so much
>easier: it's jumping to function/class/module. I won't give a specific
>description, but instead provide examples of how it could work:
>
>-> from mypack.mymodule import MyClass
>
>If I am on MyClass and hit a shortcut, geany would open
>mypack/mymodule.py and jump to MyClass class.
>
>-> from django.db.models import CharField
>
>If I am on CharField and hit a shortucut, geany would search python
>modules path (usually /usr/lib/python/dist-packages), find
>django/db/models.py and jump to CharField
>
>-> from django.db.models import Model
>
>If I am on db and hit a shortuct, geany would open
>/usr/lib/python/dist-packages/django/db/__init__.py
>
>-> from mypack.mymodule import MyClass
>
>.. // somewhere in the code
>
>obj = MyClass
>
>and I am on MyClass and hit shortcut, geany would open
>mypack/mymodule.py and jump to MyClass.
>
>-> import mypackage.mymodule
>
>obj = mypackage.mymodule.MyClass()
>
>and I am on MyClass and hit shortuct, geany would open
>mypack/mymodule.py and jump to MyClass.
>

>Geez, that would so a killer feature for any Python developer :-) Any

I completely agree and I want it as well.
That really could be a super douper heavy great fancy feature :).

>chance it could appear in Geany?

Sure, once will write it :).
This could be ideally done as a plugin so it won't disturb non-Python
people :).

As said, I'd like to have this as well and I'm willing to implement it
but no idea when...:(.
Even better would be if someone would faster than me implementing it :).