[Geany] feature request: jumping to python module

Filip Gruszczyński gruszczy at xxxxx
Thu Mar 25 22:48:03 UTC 2010

Hi!

I was thinking today about how geany is awsome and helps me a lot with
my python coding and found a feature, that would make my live so much
easier: it's jumping to function/class/module. I won't give a specific
description, but instead provide examples of how it could work:

-> from mypack.mymodule import MyClass

If I am on MyClass and hit a shortcut, geany would open
mypack/mymodule.py and jump to MyClass class.

-> from django.db.models import CharField

If I am on CharField and hit a shortucut, geany would search python
modules path (usually /usr/lib/python/dist-packages), find
django/db/models.py and jump to CharField

-> from django.db.models import Model

If I am on db and hit a shortuct, geany would open
/usr/lib/python/dist-packages/django/db/__init__.py

-> from mypack.mymodule import MyClass

.. // somewhere in the code

obj = MyClass

and I am on MyClass and hit shortcut, geany would open
mypack/mymodule.py and jump to MyClass.

-> import mypackage.mymodule

obj = mypackage.mymodule.MyClass()

and I am on MyClass and hit shortuct, geany would open
mypack/mymodule.py and jump to MyClass.

Geez, that would so a killer feature for any Python developer :-) Any
chance it could appear in Geany?

--
Filip Gruszczyński