[Geany] Geany highlighting of TODO / FIXME within comments

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Mar 22 22:23:51 UTC 2010

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 09:06:47 +1100, Lex wrote:

>> > I noticed there is a plugin that "collects" TODO tasks and it
>> > would be useful to me if it didn't require a "description" of the
>> > TODO, which I
>> don't
>> > do in many cases, and of course, if it would somehow highlight the
>> > TODO/FIXME note.
>>
>> Maybe such a feature could be implemented in the plugin. I'd suggest
>> you to file a feature request at sourceforge [1].

No need to, this behaviour is already implemented. Though I'd rather
suggest to use descriptions for TODO items as it would make them more
understandable, also for yourself when you read the code three weeks
later. But yes, this is a personal preference.

The latest version of the Addons plugin contains the old implementation
of the Tasks subplugin, it might be that this old implementation
doesn't take "empty" TODO items. But the current development version in
SVN does take them even without a description.

>I'd expect that this needs to be done in the scintilla language lexer,
>specifically the lexer needs to look for TODO within comments.  I
>presume you got it to work outside comments by setting TODO as a
>keyword, but lexers don't ignore keywords in comments, strings etc,

Little correction, lexers *do* ignore keywords in comments :).

>In fact AFAIK no lexer looks for any structure within a comment.  A
>plugin would be "fighting" the lexer to style that bit of text so I
>doubt it would work.

Completely right. This can't be done (in a sane way) in Geany. This has
to be supported by the Scintilla lexers.