[Geany] Geany highlighting of TODO / FIXME within comments

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Mar 22 22:06:47 UTC 2010

On 23 March 2010 05:41, Dominic Hopf <dmaphy at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am Sonntag, den 21.03.2010, 20:36 -0800 schrieb Ari:
> > Hi - I'm trying to get Geany to highlight TODO and FIXME notes in red or
> with
> > a different background.
> > I've been playing with filetypes.python but I can only geany to highlight
> > TODO when not in a comment line.
> >
> > Is there a way to do this?
> Maybe Ctrl-Shift-M is what you're searching for? :)
>
> > I noticed there is a plugin that "collects" TODO tasks and it would be
> > useful to me if it didn't require a "description" of the TODO, which I
> don't
> > do in many cases, and of course, if it would somehow highlight the
> > TODO/FIXME note.
>
> Maybe such a feature could be implemented in the plugin. I'd suggest you
> to file a feature request at sourceforge [1].
>
> Best Regards,
> Dominic

I'd expect that this needs to be done in the scintilla language lexer,
specifically the lexer needs to look for TODO within comments.  I presume
you got it to work outside comments by setting TODO as a keyword, but lexers
don't ignore keywords in comments, strings etc, after all thats the language
definition :-)

In fact AFAIK no lexer looks for any structure within a comment.  A  plugin
would be "fighting" the lexer to style that bit of text so I doubt it would
work.