[Geany] Regex search and replace

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+tools at xxxxx
Sat Jul 31 01:57:14 UTC 2010

daspostloch wrote:

> http://www.regular-expressions.info/charclass.html  :

I have been writing regexes for a long time :-).

> \s stands for "whitespace character". Again, which characters this
> actually includes, depends on the regex flavor. In all flavors discussed
> in this tutorial, it includes [ \t\r\n].

I just tried it out with Perl and Python (two langauges I rarely
use) and found their behaviour to be the same as that of Geany.

My main use of regexes was actually in the Nedit editor and I had
somehow come to assume that Nedit regexes were the standard when
obviously this isn't the case.

> So it will eat the spaces and the next \n, etc as well.
> Hence try " +$" , which works for me.

Yes, that does work as long as the trailing whitespace is only
spaces. It doesn't work if its a mixture of tabs and spaces.
For that something like "[ \t]+$" is required which is a little
less convienient than what I was used to, but I'm sure I can
learn to live with it.

Cheers,
Erik