[Geany] Bluefish 2 / Inspiration for HTML-Plugin for Geany

Dominic Hopf dmaphy at xxxxx
Sun Feb 21 21:10:42 UTC 2010

Am Sonntag, den 21.02.2010, 21:12 +0100 schrieb Frank Lanitz:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 14:50:20 +0100
> Dominic Hopf <dmaphy at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > From my personal point of view, there are many many issues on
> > Bluefish I don't like, but some HTML and PHP features are quiet cool,
> > e.g. the charmap on the sidebar,
>
> This could be added to htmlchars plugin. The amount of needed cooding
> work should be not this high. But somebody needs to do it ;)
>
> > HTML tag completion and the function
> > name completion for PHP.
> >
> > I can imagine there could be a "web developer plugin" for Geany which
> > supports similar features, but unfortunately don't have the time to
> > implement such myself.
>
> In general I like the idea of a webdeveloper plugin. But I'm afraid
> this will become a monster plugin in size as there is
> PHP/Python/Ruby/Perl/XHTML/HTML/XML out there. Maybe a collection of
> different small plugins and/or a some kind of documentation would make
> more sense. Something like LFS I'm thinking about at the moment.

Not to forget to mention JavaScript, VBScript, ASP and maybe others. I'd
suggest to just include support for languages into the plugin which can
be included inline in (X)HTML. Any other common language should get or
rather already has basic support by Geany herself. So, it shouldn't be
that big monster I think. :)

I see three possibilities here:
 * The one which would results in a monster: Put anything which
   concerns to web development or (X)HTML in one plugin
 * A collection of small plugins as you suggested above, but with one
   specification: a same prefix for every plugin which concerns to the
   collection, e.g. HTML_anything, HTML_foo, HTML_bar
 * Maybe the best idea I've ever had this evening: Introduce something
   like plugin groups in Geany. This actually would require some action
   in Geany - in special the plugin manager dialog - but I think that
   would be really cool: I really can imagine GtkExpanders in the list
   of plugins like they are in the keybindings listing in the
   pref-dialog. A group would be shown if a plugin actually makes use
   of it, so it would be a plugin developers decision if a plugin
   would be listed in the a group and how the group is called. To put
   more plugins into one group, the plugin developers would have to use
   exactly the same group name. Besides putting some plugins into a
   group "Web Development" that would allow many possibilities more,
   e.g. a group "sidebar" where the file browser and other additional
   sidebars could be put or "Scripting" where GeanyLua and - in Future
   - a Python plugin could be settled and so on...

Well, enough of playing with thoughts. If someone likes the idea feel
free to implement it! :)

Regards,
Dominic

--
Dominic Hopf <dmaphy at googlemail.com>

http://dominichopf.de/

Key Fingerprint:
A7DF C4FC 07AE 4DDC 5CA0 BD93 AAB0 6019 CA7D 868D