[Geany] new file.html template's GPL

Dominic Hopf dmaphy at xxxxx
Fri Dec 31 21:44:09 UTC 2010

Am Freitag, den 31.12.2010, 10:33 +0100 schrieb Krzysztof Żelechowski:
> Whether the sources on the server are public or not is completely irrelevant to Geany.
Well, I was talking about Software one writes using Geany. Usually, the
author himself decides under which license the software is he writes.

> That said, I have no problem with server-side code with a proprietary license.
>
>   * If it is not your server, you cannot modify the code anyway.
If it's a free software license, there is a place where you can download
the code and modify it then, and then run it on your own server, if you
like, of course.

>   * If it is your server and third-party code, it comes with a binding license already.
Not sure what you mean by "binding license". But I know free software
with which it is possible to use, study, modify and spread even if it is
designed to run server-side. Of course, this is just possible because of
the license - either AGPLv2+ or GPLv3+ if I understood Frank correctly.

>   * If it is your server and your code, you have no obligation to publish the code.
>      In this case, instead of providing the code, you serve your processing power and your bandwidth to the public.
That's correct, yes, of course. Talking about Free Software, we talk
about Freedom, so one should also have the Freedom to decide if he
licenses his software under a free software license or not. :)

In any way, Geany doesn't force an author to put his code under a
specific license. Geany does just suggestions by default installation.
The templates where the licenses are included, are customizable anyway.

So, to get back to the original topic, I appreciate the idea of
suggesting Creative Commons for HTML documents by default. In my
opinion, it should suggest AGPLv2+ or GPLv3+ for PHP then (I think it
already does so)

Regards,
Dominic

--
Dominic Hopf <dmaphy at googlemail.com>
http://dominichopf.de/

Key Fingerprint: A7DF C4FC 07AE 4DDC 5CA0 BD93 AAB0 6019 CA7D 868D