[Geany] new file.html template's GPL

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Thu Dec 30 11:25:11 UTC 2010

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 22:53:02 -0500
Kete <kwfj at suddenlink.net> wrote:

> The GPL seems weird for a webpage to have in its source code because
> I don't think of webpages as programs or "software" as the template
> says. Why is the GPL used for a webpage? I understand it's good for
> some of the other things that people use Geany to make because those
> are actual programs. Would the GNU Free Documentation License or a
> Creative Commons license be more applicable for webpages? I think I
> might make some more templates with one of these licenses and/or the
> HTML 5 format.

If you only have a look onto the content, GFDL or one of the CC would
be surely better.If you have a look onto e.g. inline JS you would need
a real software license. I think with GPL3 its getting a bit better
here in this special case but not this much. However, its not an
optimal decision I'm sure to use GPL here, but the templates are
completely changeable to fit users purposes.

Cheers,
Frank
--
http://frank.uvena.de/en/