[Geany] Geany on OS X, extension "RANDR" and symlink error?

Jason Oster jason.oster at xxxxx
Fri Oct 2 14:33:16 UTC 2009

On 10/01/2009 06:58 AM, Juergen Potzkoten wrote:
> Success!
>
> first of all I'd like to thank you Nick & Jason for the hints!
> Building Geany natively under OSX with GTK+  (without X11) sounded fine
> to me..so I started again from scratch and deleted my previous attempts
> & macports.
>
> Here's what I did:
>
> - installed GTK+ from http://www.gtk-osx.org/
> - downloaded the latest Geany SVN Version again
> - ran ./autogen.sh in Terminal again and got the following error:

>      checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
>      checking for GTK... configure: error: Package requirements
> (gtk+-2.0 >= 2.8.0) were not met:
>
>      No package 'gtk+-2.0' found
>
> - fired up Finder to search for gtk, found it under <myuser>/gtk
> - added the path in Terminal by typing:
>    export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=<myuser>/gtk/inst/lib/pkgconfig/
> - checked it with: pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0
>    Output: 2.16.2
>
> -so there we are!
> -then I ran configure, make and sudo make install again
>
> -->Success! Geany executable is under /usr/local/bin/geany and runs fine
> now!
>
> Maybe this little "Howto" can push the other OS X users (are there any?
> ;) ) into the right direction...
>
> Thanks again and have a nice day!
> Oliver

Glad you got it working! I'm not sure if gtk-osx still uses jhbuild
shell (it probably does for building it and dependencies) but it at
least provides a full environment to build GTK+ apps on OS X. There were
also some related packages from the same group (Imendio) to build OS X
application packages, a more OS X-alike GTK+ theme, and an integration
package to use the OS X menu bar and Dock.

It was enough to get the look-and-feel just about right, but again I
don't know how much progress has been made on those side-projects.

Happy hacking! :)