[Geany] Editor Theme - Vibrant Ink

Jason Willson jason.willson at xxxxx
Sun Nov 29 00:09:37 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 12:47 +0100, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 02:34:58 -0500, Jason Willson
> <jason.willson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have packaged a port of Notepad++'s port of Textmate's Vibrant Ink
> > theme. I've posted it at Google Code:
> >
> > http://code.google.com/p/geany-vibrant-ink-theme/
>
> Cool.
>
> Just a few questions / ideas:
>
> - include a README in the tarball/zip archive to give some general
> information about the contents
> - add a screenshot on the project page to easily show the potential
> users how it looks like
> - are you sure the MIT license is applicable, you stated you ported it
> from Notepad++'s theme which is based on Textmate's one. There might be
> problems because Textmate is non-free AFAIK and Notepad++ is probably
> licenced as GPLv2 (didn't check it). Though this doesn't necessarily
> mean the themes are licenced as well under these licences. Just check
> it.
>
> Once the licence issue is solved, I'll add it to the
> http://www.geany.org/Download/Extras page.
>
> Regards,
> Enrico
>
> P.S.: Please don't hi-jack other threads.

Excellent advice.

License Issue:
I've emailed the author of the original Vibrant Ink theme for Textmate
and asked him for advice regarding the licensing of his theme as well as
the author of the port to Notepad++. I've temporarily licensed it under
the Artistic License/GPL because that seems the most compatible with the
GNU Free License that the port is licensed under.

Screenshot:
I've added a screenshot to the Project Home page.

Readme:
I'll work on that and have that included in the tarball soon.

Thanks again Enrico. I apologize for hi-jacking another thread - I'm new
to mailing lists, so I don't exactly have the etiquette yet. I'll keep
my page updated and I can update the list as well. I welcome any further
advice.

Regards,
Jason