[Geany] Send selection&newline to terminal

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at xxxxx
Sat Nov 28 22:00:11 UTC 2009

Hello Enrico

On 11/28/09, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 12:24:27 +0100, Enrico wrote:
>  Geany actually removes the last trailing \n from the selection to
>  explicitly try to prevent the requested behaviour and I still think
>  this is good and should be kept.

I understand the reasons for keeping the conservative approach default
(the "rm -rf ~" example). However it makes the feature virtually
useless in more specific cases (such as evaluating R code). As is, to
evaluate the second line of the following dummy R paragraph
"2+2
3+3
4+4

"

I would need to:
- select "3+3"
- send selection to terminal
- with the mouse focus the terminal
- hit enter
- with the mouse hit on the correct part of the document to return editing.

To execute the last line is much easier:
- select "4+4" and the following "" empty line
- send selection to terminal.

Here the code gets evaluated quickly and I can resume editing
immediately. Being unable to easily execute R code is one of the main
reasons I cannot use Geany for my R projects.

On 11/28/09, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 11:09:05 +0100, Frank wrote:
>  >Did try it but can't you just add a \n after %s if needed?
>
> Which %s?
>  Liviu is talking about "Send Selection to terminal" which doesn't have
>  a command setting where a %s can be specified. Instead, this feature
>  just sends the selection directly to the VTE.

Would it be possible to make the feature configurable? Keep a default,
as is "Send Selection to terminal", but allow the user to configure an
additional "Send selection" action with custom behaviour? In the
context of R, actions such as "Send current line to terminal" or "Send
current paragraph to terminal" (and the ability to assign bindings to
them) would be great, but a possible "Send Selection & empty-line to
terminal" would already be a boon.

Regards
Liviu