[Geany] Templates Question

Duncan Lock duncan.lock at xxxxx
Thu May 28 22:05:08 UTC 2009

Hi Veronica,    When you do things this way, what you're essentially doing
is manually maintaining a static
website - but you're using a tool, like dreamweaver to hide most of
the donkey work.
This isn't a very efficient way to work, even if you are using dreamweaver,
or some other tool. You would, in my opinion, be better off - in lots of
ways - using a simple CMS to build your websites, rather than doing static
sites. This way, you separate your content from your templates completely,
the CMS stores the template and content separately - and only merges the two
at page request time. This is just one of a _huge_ number of benefits the
flow from using a decent CMS for your projects.

    Once you've done one site this way, you'll find that it's much quicker
to build than doing a static site - and maintainence time drops
dramatically, compared to static sites. If you haven't used a CMS before, I
would suggest maybe trying MODx - a simple, elegant open source CMS which is
free & easy to get going with. If you're interested, MODx can be found here:

http://www.modxcms.com/

    and there's a simple getting started with MODx tutorial here:

http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/other/working-with-a-content-management-framework-modx/

    and a forum full of helpful people to help you out if you get stuck
here:

http://modxcms.com/community/forums.html

Hope this helps,
Dunc