[Geany] Detecting symbols

Filip Gruszczyński gruszczy at xxxxx
Sun May 17 21:29:26 UTC 2009

Hi!

I have a feature request, that would make my life so much simpler. I
am Python coder and I use geany all the time to code in it - both at
work and for personal projects.

So: right now geany detects some symbols, that are defined in open
files and suggests them, when you type the beggining of a symbol.
Could Geany also do the following: check imports at the beggining of a
file and use them in suggestions? This would be very cool, as I am
using always named imports (and they are recommended) and thanks to
this, I would get names of objects, even though I don't have files
with definitions opened. This especially useful for third party
libraries - I ain't going to open files from /usr/lib just to get
suggestions, but this way I will still get them.

Furthermore, there is one more thing, that I once noted on this list,
but wasn't addressed. Let's take following examples: there is symbol
SomeClassWithLongName and I have already typed WithLongName. If I
start typing Some right before WithLongName and I get the following:

SomeWithLongName

I'll get a completion suggestion, which I will choose. But then it
will turn into SomeClassWithLongNameWithLongName. Is it possible for
geany to be smarter and simple add Class and nothing else?

--
Filip Gruszczyński