[Geany] tab indents, space aligns

John Yeung gallium.arsenide at xxxxx
Thu May 14 00:55:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Thomas Martitz
<thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:

> Any tab+space will be broken if the user choses another tab
> width that the author did.

That is false.  The point of "space for alignment" in the "tab for
indentation, space for alignment" style is that the spaces will be
there to maintain alignment.  For some styles of alignment, the
alignment will remain intact regardless of the tab width.

I especially see this in SQL, where some people like to
*right*-justify the keywords, and of course the keywords are different
lengths.

Personally, I don't use this style, but some people find it MUCH
easier to read.  Of course, you can also achieve this using spaces
only, but that is not your statement.  The fact is, adjusting the tab
width will NOT ruin the alignment in this scheme.

If you are thinking of "use as many tabs as possible, then switch to
spaces", that is something else.  In the tab-for-indent scheme being
discussed, if your code is at "indent level 1", you will have one tab,
and then anything that needs to be aligned after that is spaces, even
if it is 50 spaces.

John