[Geany] tab identation

Andris Raugulis ar at xxxxx
Sun May 10 03:46:40 UTC 2009

> I can't remember such a feature. Leading spaces and tabs are generally
> indentation. And pressing shift+tab removes it. If you re-add it, it
> only adds the indention type you've configured.

As I mentioned, unchecking "Tab key idents", I get desired results, so,
in my opinion, it should be possible for multi-lines, also.

And Now I think I remember that shift+tab was the one that used to work
for multiple-lines. Anyway, one way or other (tab or shift+tab), it used
to work. I'm pretty sure. Or my memory is broken.

Anyway, if I can't do this by configuration, how can I achieve my desired
results? Snippet, plugin, local patch-branch?

> Besides, I find it weird to even want such a mixed indentation. Why not
> use tabs or spaces consistently?

It's not pure identation. It's ident + align. And to answer your
question - to make code readable. Consider this code (php example):

->->$sSQL = 'SELECT `column1` ' .
->->........' WHERE `column2` = (..)

I use tab for ident, space for align.

In this way every developer who works on code can have custom settings
for his "tab" key - be it 2, 4, 8 or whatver-count chars wide. And code
will be readable for all of them.