[Geany] Special settings for some filetypes

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Jan 11 17:47:59 UTC 2009

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 20:24:02 +0100, "Milan Babuskov"
<milan.babuskov at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Enrico Tröger
><enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>>>But, I disabled that because sometimes I get a (cpp or php) file from
>>>someone else and it has mixed tabs and spaces and I want Geany to
>>>'fix' it to spaces on saving.
>>
>> If this happens for single files, just use Document->Set Indendation
>> type and/or Document->Replace Tabs by Spaces.
>
>It happens for about 30% of files I work on, so that's not an option.
>It's easier to just use a different editor program for Makefiles
>(which I do now as I don't see a better solution).
>
>> Then there is also the option "Replace tabs by space" in the
>> preferences dialog, Files tab. But be aware that this options affects
>> all files which are saved with Geany.
>
>Yes, I know, I have it turned on. What would be nice is that this
>setting is ignored on a per-file basis if file type is Makefile, or if
>user manually selects Document -> Set Indentation.

Well, basically we have already a pretty flexible set of indentation
settings. Yet your special use case is a bit against the indented work
flow.

Does anyone know if Makefiles always need to have tabs indentation? If
we could assume all sorts of Makefiles require Tabs, we could add back
the forced Tabs setting for Makefiles. But I have no idea about the
Makefiles for Windows' nmake or BSD make or whatever else might exist.