[Geany] Question on installing LUA plugin for geany

Radde, Kai-Uwe kaiuweradde at xxxxx
Sun Jan 4 22:03:47 UTC 2009

Dear all,

I started working with geany a few days ago. Target was to have a good editor for "R" that can be enhanced to be a small IDE (Tried to achieve that also with eclipse/statet, wine/tinn-r, bluefish, all failed for different reasons). As "R" can be started in the integrated terminal the only task remaining is to be able to copy some pieces of texts down into the terminal (in a semi-automated way). I wanted to make use of LUA for that but was not able to install it.

My system environment:
Ubuntu 8.10
Geany 0.15 (downloaded from http://www.getdeb.net as recommended) and installed without issues using gdebi.
I downloaded: http://download.geany.org/contrib/geanylua-0.7.0_patched.tar.gz (for geany 0.14 only - I know - but I would like to make use of "R" syntax highlighting in 0.15)
Hardware: Dell inspiron 6400 notebook

First finding:
The directory /home/user/.geany was created but not the subdirectory /home/user/.geany/plugins as described in the installation guide of geanylua.

I tried to get something precompiled for geanylua but failed installing it. Then I tried the scripts install-sh and install.sh but both asked me for directories/files unknown to me. Then I tried to run ./configure, make, make install but failed using ./configure. Error displayed:

-----
checking for GEANY... yes
checking for lua5.1.pc... no
checking for lua51.pc... no
checking for lua-5.1.pc... no
checking for lua.pc... no
checking for LUA... configure: error: Package requirements (lua5.1 >= 5.1.2) were not met:

No package 'lua5.1' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables LUA_CFLAGS
and LUA_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
-----

I installed the package lua5.1 via synaptic (installs version 5.1.3-1 so should work) and restartet ./config but failed again with the same error message.

Any ideas, experiences how to proceed here? (Or will geanylua be integrated into one of the next releases of geany so that it will be installed automatically?)

Thank you very much in advance!

Btw: geany looks a lot better than eclipse, bluefish, ... - good work!

Kai