[Geany] Python Auto-complete feature

Manish Sinha mail at xxxxx
Thu Feb 26 12:21:43 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

Before starting this mail, I would like to tell you that I discovered
Geany in the Ubuntu repos around one and a half years back. It was so
light-weight, nearly non-existent dependencies (a few). I was taken back
by the simplicity, and lightness of this software. I started propagating
it and found many taker. When I did my summer internship at Microsoft -
India, I suggested geany to some of the regular developers who were
heavily loaded with work and were fed up with hundreds of open files in
Visual Studio (its bulky). Even many people in MS liked it. Open Source
in MS :)

Coming to the point. I am running Ubuntu 8.04.2 on my laptop. The
highest version of Ubuntu possible on this Ubuntu version is 0.14, since
0.15 requires a gtk version not in 8.04. Intrepid has 0.15, but it has
some problems with my hardware and other reason is that 8.04 is a LTS.
Hardy has 0.13 in repos and I installed 0.14 from getdeb.net ( a crude
way, I know)

I have noticed that PHP has autocomplete in 0.14 but Python does not.
Python's default syntax highlighting looks more complete than that of
PHP. I use PHP and Python a lot, so Geany is a good choice from a long
time. When I found autocomplete, my joy knew no bounds, but is this
autocomplete restricted to PHP? Is Python autocomplete available in
higher versions? 0.16 is the latest, but I didnt find anything in the
changelog.

For Python autocomplete, do I have to do a "feature request"? I just
wanted to know whether its already in higher versions since I cant
install it due to gtk dependency.  If it's not implemented, I wish to
request this feature. I am also ready to help the developers with this
work.

Regards,
Manish Sinha

Blog : http://blog.manishsinha.net