[Geany] Location of plugins

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Feb 22 19:08:36 UTC 2009

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 13:04:52 +0800, LUK ShunTim
<shuntim.luk at polyu.edu.hk> wrote:

>Enrico Tröger wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 12:16:48 +0800, LUK ShunTim
>> <shuntim.luk at polyu.edu.hk> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> It seems the plugin manager is looking for plugins only in one place
>>> configured at compile time (ie, under $prefix/lib/geany). How can I
>>
>> Yes, it looks in $libdir/geany (which is in most cases
>> $prefix/lib/geany) *and* Geany looks in the user's configuration
>> directory for plugins, by default ~/.config/geany/plugins/.
>
>Thanks, knowing this is good enough for me. :-)
>

>> So, maybe it helps to put your plugins in the user configuration
>> directory, Geany will then pick them up.
>>

>>> tell it to look for plugins in user specified directories?
>>
>> There is no easy way without modifying the source or wild symlinking
>> in your filesystem :).
>>
>> Just for my interest, what do you want to do?
>
>Say geany is installed via some distribution package mechanism, apt,
>rpm, whatever and the system admin can make locally compiled plugins
>available for all users in a "local" place, maybe under
>/usr/local/lib/geany.

We surely can add support for reading other directories as well. The
question is probably just how to realise it best. I think of an
environment variable like GEAY_PLUGIN_PATH or a command line switch.
Or even a hidden preference, which is maybe the most easy one to use.