[Geany] "New file" in file browser plugin menu

Harold Aling geany at xxxxx
Mon Feb 2 13:15:45 UTC 2009

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 17:39:50 +0100, Enrico Tröger
<enrico.troeger at uvena.de>
wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 23:57:47 +0100, Harold Aling <geany at sait.nl> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 18:48:03 +0100, Enrico Tröger
>><enrico.troeger at uvena.de>
>>wrote:

>>> Why?
>>
>>Let's say I'm working in /var/www/d6/sites/all/modules/my_module and I
>>need a new, empty file there: 'my_module.inc'
>>
>>Geany's default dir is set to '/var/www'.
>>
>>To create a new file in the 'my_module' dir you now have to:
>>1) Create a new file (ctrl-n)
>>2) Save the new file (ctrl-s)
>>3) Open 'd6'
>>4) Open 'sites'
>>5) Open 'all'
>>6) Open 'modules'
>>7) Open 'my_module'
>>8) Give the new file a name
>>9) Save the file
>>
>>If the file browser would support creating new files:
>>
>>1) Right click in the filebrowser
>>2) Select 'new file' (or maybe even 'new folder'?)
>>3) Give the new file a name
>>4) Done
>>
>>It just seems logical to be able to do it in the file browser, but
>>maybe I'm alone in that...
>
> You know you can create bookmarks in the GTK filechooser? This won't
> solve your request directly, but may help to reach common locations in
> your filesystem faster.

True, but I work on 20-30 projects simultaneously, so that will be a lot of
bookmarks ;)

>>> The toolbar buttons are not that far away and adding them to the
>>> filebrowser plugin would cause that we expose this all to the plugin
>>> API. Of course, you don't care about the technical changes (I
>>> wouldn't do so as well in your position :D) but it's just rather
>>> much efforts for a little benefit, IMO.
>>
>>I just thought it would be handy. I don't think about technical
>>changes, since I don't know any C. I'm just a simple php script guy...
>
> I know and that's ok. I just wanted to mention that it is not as
> trivial as it may sound because the filebrowser is a plugin.
> I think I won't work on this, at least not before the next release.
> Sorry.

Don't you apologize to me! ;) I'm the one requesting silly things...

Speaking of silly things: Is there maybe an other dev on this list able to
implement a simple 'new file', 'new folder' and rename functionality in the
file browser plugin? If so, I'm willing to donate $25 to your personal beer
fund!* ;)

-H-

* Payment through PayPal or on a Dutch bank account...