[Geany] OT: How to get shorter lines in the Geany manual?

Randy Kramer rhkramer at xxxxx
Sun Aug 30 14:19:40 UTC 2009

On Sunday 30 August 2009 08:48:51 am Enrico Tröger wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 17:48:41 -0400, Randy wrote:
> >On Saturday 29 August 2009 01:02:03 pm Enrico Tröger wrote:
> >   * it turned out that changing doc/geany.css didn't work because
> > there
> >is a copy of the stylesheet embedded in the manual (geany.html)--it
> >starts at line 20 which says: "@media screen {".  I commented out
> > the width specification a few lines below that (with /*   */)
>
> Yo, sorry. I forgot to mention that you have to regenerate the .html
> file after changing the .css file.

No problem, I assume that would be regenerated with docutils, and for
the time being, I don't need to learn how to do it.  ;-)

> >Question: Is there any reason this couldn't or shouldn't be done for
> >the copy of the manual on the web site?
>
> Not much.
> I personally just don't like if it is not wrapped because then it
> looks very ugly and is harder to read on my 22" wide screen. But this
> is a very personal thing, not really counting.
> Still not sure if we should change it.

I'm curious: Are you talking about when you read it in a browser--I ask
because your browser would wrap it to the width of the browser window,
wouldn't it?  Or are you talking about viewing the HTML file sort
of "raw" in an editor?

I looked at some web design guidelines that take into account human
usability factors--the ones I found all recommend a quite short line
based on the eye's area of acute focus.  (And the subsequent need to
move your eyes or your head to scan longer lines.) I take it you don't
notice a problem?

Anyway, thanks again for the information, and for Geany!

regards,
Randy Kramer