[Geany] OT: How to get shorter lines in the Geany manual?

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Aug 30 12:48:51 UTC 2009

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 17:48:41 -0400, Randy wrote:

>On Saturday 29 August 2009 01:02:03 pm Enrico Tröger wrote:
>> You were on the right way. Though docutils don't wrap the text at
>> all, it's done with our custom CSS file.
>> Find line 15 of doc/geany.css which reads like:
>> width: 60em;
>> in the "body" class. IIRC it defines the document width. You can
>> either change it or remove it to have unwrapped lines, so your
>> browser can do it on its own.
>> Alternatively, you can change the used CSS style in your browser to
>> use the "print" version. E.g. in Firefox click on View->Page
>> Style->No Style, not sure how to do it in Konqueror.
>
>Enrico,
>
>Thanks very much!  The end result is fine, and, in fact, I'll have to
>remember to try a similar trick when I find other web pages that are
>too wide to read.
>
>I expound / clarify a few things, some for you, and some for anybody
>else that wants to try the same thing, and then I have one question:
>
>   * it turned out that changing doc/geany.css didn't work because
> there
>is a copy of the stylesheet embedded in the manual (geany.html)--it
>starts at line 20 which says: "@media screen {".  I commented out the
>width specification a few lines below that (with /*   */)

Yo, sorry. I forgot to mention that you have to regenerate the .html
file after changing the .css file.

>   * this  approach works for reading a local (downloaded) copy of the
>manual.  One way of downloading it is by using svn to download the
>entire geany source tree.  The manual is then under doc/geany.html.
>
>This approach works very well--the main text wraps to the width of my
>browser's window, and, if I had a narrow enough window, I might have
>to horizontally scroll for some wide lines within HTML <pre> </pre>
>tags. Perfect--just the way it should work ;-)
>
>Question: Is there any reason this couldn't or shouldn't be done for
>the copy of the manual on the web site?

Not much.
I personally just don't like if it is not wrapped because then it looks
very ugly and is harder to read on my 22" wide screen. But this is a
very personal thing, not really counting.
Still not sure if we should change it.

>PS: I also looked at your suggestion using the "print" version on
>Firefox (well, Iceweasel on Debian).  That works fine, but, loses the

Yup, I'm using Debian and so Iceweasel as well but not everyone knows
Iceweasel while it seems all the world knows Firefox :).

>   1) when you go Location -> Print to print a page and do a print
>preview, it will wrap to the width of the paper, but you can only view
>that as a print preview, which is not so friendly--links don't
>work--it's just an image of a printed page
>
>   2) under Settings -> Configure Konqueror -> Stylesheets there are
>some options that look like they should be helpful, one to use
>an "Accessibility Stylesheet" with a very limited amount of
>customization, and the second to use a "user defined stylesheet".  I
>tried both options (I tried to use a downloaded copy of geary.css as
>the user defined spreadsheet), and neither one seemed to have any
>effect

No idea, never used Konqueror.