[Geany] Geany 0.16 on Ubuntu 9.04 VTE hangs

Rob van der Linde robvdl at xxxxx
Sun Apr 26 10:30:55 UTC 2009

I have been using Geany 0.14 on Ubuntu 8.10 for some time to do Django
development.  I had it set up so that when I hit the "Execute" button in
the Geany toolbar for my current project, it would start the built-in
Django webserver, e.g. "python manage.py runserver".  When I needed to
stop the server I would press Ctrl+C, this worked fine in Geany 0.14.

I remember trying several times using newer SVN releases after version
0.14, but every time I did this, it would run my Django server fine, but
when I press Ctrl+C to break my server, the VTE in Geany would hang. (I
remember talking about this problem once before in this list).  For this
reason, I kept going back to 0.14 because it was the only version that
worked for me.

However, now that I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04, installed Geany
0.16 from the Ubuntu repository, I am having the same problems again.
The VTE in Geany keeps hanging when I press Ctrl+C.

Looking at the release notes, this happened around Geany 0.15, here is
the snippet from the release notes:

Embedded Terminal:
    * Fix hang when restarting the VTE (#1990323) with VTE 0.16.14.
      (Note that with VTE 0.16.14 the reset sometimes leaves a blank
      terminal, but pressing enter makes it then behave as normal).

... I have tried this... pressing enter after I press Ctrl+C when I get
the blank terminal, however pressing enter does not do anything for me
unfortunately.  Pressing Execute in the Geany toolbar again doesn't do
anything either, the VTE appears frozen and I have to restart Geany.

I am not sure what the problem is here, whether it is VTE or Geany, but
I do know that Geany 0.14 does not have this problem.  For now I am
going to have to uninstall Geany from the repository and compile 0.14
from source.

Any ideas on why this is happening though?