[Geany] Feature Suggestion: D projects automatically include modules

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue Sep 9 16:21:27 UTC 2008

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 14:37:07 +0200
Brendan <brenzie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe it's just me, but...
>
> When you have a D project that consists of a main .d source file and
> separate .d modules, it would be great if pressing `Build` for the
> main file would automatically detect the other files, like so:
>
> `dmd main.d module01.d module02.d module03.d`
>
> ...which works if you just use the command line. So in Geany, there
> could be a list of files that it keeps handy to check what the
> programmer has for files, and then immediately take all the necessary
> steps to build. Kind of like using the `-I` switch to import? But
> only now it checks by itself.

Well, Geany's philosophy is not to try to build projects, as for
different filetypes and different projects this can be quite complex.
We suggest using a Makefile in the manual.

But for D, maybe you'd like the Bud tool - I haven't really used it
but it should be as simple as setting the build command to:

bud %e

http://www.dsource.org/projects/build

Also for projects, only make in base path is implemented as an extra
build option - so in this case you could have a Makefile in the
project base path:

all:
<TAB>bud my_app_name

Then you could use the Make command for whatever the current file is.

Regards,
Nick