[Geany] DMD 2 and Geany: error argument expected for switch '-of'

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Sep 7 19:03:37 UTC 2008

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 16:43:40 +0200, Brendan <brenzie at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> This is what I get: in the compiler tab:
>
> dmd -w "testing.d" -of "testing" (in directory:
> ~/Geany_Proj/testingD2) Compilation failed.
> Error: argument expected for switch '-of'
>
> Why is that switch there? Is it necessary? How do I prevent Geany
> from using that switch?

this switch specifies the name of the executable to be built.
For reference see
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/dmd-linux.html#switches.

I don't know why it isn't working for you, it should.
Try running
dmd -w "testing.d" -of "testing"
in the directory ~/Geany_Proj/testingD2 and check whether it results in
the same message.

The -of switch is there when linking the program (Build->Build or F9
key) to give the executable a sane name instead of something like
'a.out' or whatever the dmd might choose.
You can change/remove this in the Build->Set Includes and Arguments
dialog.