[Geany] css.tags

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri Sep 5 21:08:52 UTC 2008

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 01:16:55 +0200, Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 20:08:59 +0200
> Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>
> > > Geany doesn't support this format for CSS (yet).
> > > There are two possible solutions:
> > > a) we add the CSS filetype to the list of filetypes which use this
> > > format (pipe-separated). But this would only affect the SVN
> > > version, you still wouldn't be able to use your file with Geany
> > > 0.14 b) you or someone else write a script which converts your
> > > file into the native tagmanager format.
> > >
> > > I'd prefer a) as your list is 'generated' manually and not by a
> > > script and so the pipe-separated format is easier to maintain but
> > > it's not possible without changing the source code.
> >
> > I'd still prefer a) and like to get it working if there are no
> > objections.
>
> I'm still not 100% what is the best way. But we shouldn't look back to
> much to Geany 0.14. Even though 0.15 will might take some more time,
> the solution should be something that is working for all tag file in
> the same way. Providing data pipe seperated and in tagmanager style
> mixed up will be ugly to maintain I guess.

Hmm, 'ugly to maintain'? Maintaining a binary file is less ugly than a
pipe-separated tag file?
The problem with the tagmanager format is that it mostly can't be
edited. And so, for the Pascal or LaTeX  tag files you need to get them
parsed but probably they can't be parsed with the current code. This is
why there is another, easier format.

I don't think having all tags file in the tagmanager format would make
them easier to maintain. Of course, this is true for real generated
file like the globals tags file for C/C++. But probably not for other
formats.
Same for the PHP tags file which is parsed from a text file from the
PHP project. To get it generated by the tagmanager code you would need
to generate a PHP file with all these information so that it could be
parsed by the PHP parser and then written to a tags file. But IIRC then
function signatures (return values, argument lists) are lost and we
just loose information compared to the current way.

> > > After all, if we have decided how to proceed, I agree with Frank
> > > to include this list in Geany if you, Gavin, agree.
> >
> > In the meantime I would disagree to this and instead provide the
> > file on www.geany.org/Download/Extras for download.
>
> In addition to this, we might could store them inside the genay-plugin
> subversion repository and doing maybe a daily svn export to the
> webserver.

No, we don't want this, as we already discussed some time before.
Having links to user-provided tag files in the Wiki on the
Download/Extras page is fine and if someone needs webspace for hosting
such files, just contact me.